Here's a place to find creative, educational ways for your children and students to use the computer and lots of online tools. They'll have fun and be learning about computers at the same time. Adults will have fun too!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lingro

I happened upon lingro one day when doing some browsing for work and I tell you this site is simply amazing and its applications are endless!  Let's start with this: it's free and there's no login.  You know that's my favorite kind of site.

Here's what it does.  First, you find a site that you want to read.  Let's say you're an 8 year old kid who loves ninja and you want to read more about them but you read at a 3rd grade level and the Wikipedia article on ninja is written at an 8th grade level (I don't know, just guessing).  Go to the Wikipedia article and copy the web address.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja.  Then go to lingro and paste the Wikipedia address into lingro's search bar.  Lingro then runs the web address you've pasted in through its programs and gives you an online, one-click dictionary for any article or document on the web!  At least as far as I've been able to test it so far everything has worked very well.  Here's the ninja article put through lingro with a word clicked on to show you what it will look like when you're done.


As you can see, you're on the lingro website but the wikipedia address has been linked through lingro.  As I read the article I decided I didn't know what "unorthodox" meant so with a single click lingro popped up a definition of unorthodox.  THEN, you can bookmark the lingroed version of a website for future use for your children or students to look at if they're too young to go through that whole process by themselves!  Fabulous!

One thing lingro doesn't do is automatically put additional links through lingro again.  For example, if I click on the link to "Shinobi" in the first paragraph of the Wikipedia article I will go to Wikipedia's Shinobi link but it will no longer be through lingro.  I would have to put it through lingro separately.  Hey, you can't have everything.

On the plus side, if you're studying a foreign language, lingro will translate 11 different languages.  When switching languages, lingro doesn't give you a definition but instead gives you the word in your translate language.

I think this is a really incredible site that I plan to use with my children and students.  I'll probably use this in combination with Twurdy to really pinpoint reading levels and readability for individual kids.  These are great sites that make the information on the internet even more accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment